Ten Principles for Christian Higher Education Chaplaincy
As agreed by CHELG in January 2018
1. We provide a faith based pastoral and advisory presence for students and staff of the university. This includes opportunities for worship, religious observance and faith exploration and education.
2. We will seek loving and respectful cooperation both within the chaplaincy team and with other providers of faith based support to the university staff and students
3. We will encourage the respectful use of sacred space, whether our own or belonging to others.
4. We comply with the code of conduct of the University and are answerable to the University and to our sending bodies in the performance of our role.
5. We follow the Diversity and Equality Policies of the University. If there is a potential or perceived clash between our faith position and the needs of those we support we will signpost to other chaplains or services who can meet their needs.
6. We do not misuse our position to proselytise.
7. We use appropriate confidentiality and privacy policies, have appropriate relationships with those we serve and refer appropriately to our partners in services. We will encourage students to be independent and to find their own path.
8. We maintain records in accordance with data protection and safeguarding guidelines ensuring that our activities are duly recorded and scrutinised.
9. In undertaking this ministry we do not act in any way that brings our chaplaincy into disrepute.
10. We cooperate with and respect those of other faiths (or none) while being faithful to the beliefs, practices and discipline of our own tradition.
- 2 Lilac Grove
- Victoria Park Ave
- LS5 3AG